Makarska - Central Dalmatia
Makarska was first mentioned in 1502 in a document by Bosnian cadi Muhamed Musin. In those days Turks occupied Makarska and the town was the center of Turkish trade with other countries on the Adriatic. Due to constant attacs, the Turks built towers in the town to defend themselves from Venetians. Still, Makarska was annexed by Venice in 1681 and during the following one hundred year reign the town developed constantly. Due to development of trade and generally prosperity in the 18th century, churches and palaces were built together with baroque residences for young royalty. During the 19th century Makarska was ruled by the French and by the Austro-Hungarians, but people of Makarska were more inclined to Croatian national revival. Cultural and public life will later be based on this tradition.
The town of Makarska is situated 65 km south of Split, the capital of the central Dalmatian region. Makarska, thanks to its central position and the size of the town, is the most important resort on the well known “Makarksa Riviera”. It is situated in a well protected bay underneath the mountain Biokovo, today a nature park. The town consists of the historical part and the new part which is modern with hotels, private houses, restaurants, bars etc. Guests of Makarska will enjoy the beautiful pebble beaches and the Mediterranean vegetation with olive and pine trees. Makarska also offers excellent gastronomic opportunities based on fish, wine and olive oil, typical for the Dalmatian region, and the rich sports facilities are also worth to mention, especially the water sports and scuba diving courses. For nature lovers, behind Makarska there is the nature park Biokovo, the highest mountain in the central Dalmatian region, on which trekking excursions are organized.
Excursions: to the nature park Biokovo, Split, Trogir, Solin, Dubrovnik, the canyon of the river Cetina with rafting facilities, the National Park Krka, boat trips to the islands of Hvar, Brac and Korcula.
Franciscan convent of the Blessed Virgin Mary originates from the 16th century. When Franciscans moved from Bosnia they renovated an old church with approval from Turkish government and built a residence that later became a convent next to it. The convent was devastated several times in the past, but it was renovated and additevery time. After WW II it was partially nationalized.
This interesting museum is situated within the convent of the Blessed Virgin Mary and it was founded in the year 1963. The museum was founded after much research and a long period of collecting shells from all over the world. Today it is labelled a cultural monument with over 3000 samples of shells from the Adriatic, tropical and subtropical seas. These shells are very attractive due to their interesting colors and shapes.
St. Marko Evangelist Church
The church was founded in the 18th century, but has not been finished, since the apses, foreseen in the original plan, are still missing. The bones of St. Clement, martyr and patron saint of the town and diocese, guard entrance to the church. There are several other members of respected Makaranian families buried in the church. The church treasury contains many valuable artifacts like paintings, old books, textile and scented cloths.
Antun Gojak town gallery
The gallery is situated in the building of Classical gymnasium popularly called "Old school" and hosts 12 exhibitions in a year. Many donations have helped acquire many artworks, which testify of the art history of this area.